Like most of the country we are having an exceptionally cold week for Houston…it was only 24 when we got up today! So in the fun morning rush trying to get everyone fed and dressed in order to make Averie’s gymnastics class on time, it was not good when we lost power at 7 am. Averie had a very hard time understanding why she could not watch Curious George and why I was fumbling around for clothes in the dark closet. I had a very hard time coming to terms with no hairdryer. Luckily I don’t go to any place too fancy most days! The power came back on right as we left and I was able to see the news saying that we were going to be having “rolling blackouts” across town during the cold weather. Great.
After gymnastics, we headed to the grocery store. I get everyone in their coats and hats and as bundled as they get and as I’m dragging them all into the store, the man in the handicapped spot rolls his window down to let me know that the store has no power. Then, the lady in the car behind him told me is should be back on soon. So back to the car we go where the kids played and pushed every button they could find. Finally the store got power and opened. When we went it, the lanes were full of people stranded with their groceries and I was told it takes 45 minutes for the systems to reboot once the power comes on. So, my goal was to get everything we needed and be in line in 45 minutes and get out of there before the power went out again!
Sounded like an easy plan until I got to the food area where all of the open refrigerated cases were covered in huge tarps to keep them cool enough during the blackouts. I found a guy who said we could get what we needed but they wouldn’t take down the tarps. So, I spent lots of time ducking behind tarps and searching for our food. Averie and Grady found this wildly thrilling as a great game of peek-a-boo. Let’s just say it was a huge relief when my receipt printed and we got out the door without another blackout!
No comments:
Post a Comment